The post war reconstruction of public transport in Gdynia started with the buses. Immediately after the liberation, a private company called Autobaza, owned by Welz Brothers, began to collect buses and other public transport vehicles that had been spread round the town and its surroundings. They were stored on the company’s premises at 23 Batorego Street, and fixed there by drivers themselves.
Some vehicles were also brought from a huge car cemetery located in the delta of the Vistula River in the area of Sobieszewo, Stegna, and Sztutowo, where a lot of well equipped Wehrmacht’s units stationed until the last day of war. The vehicles that had been left there were very often deprived, besides gas, only of such parts as battery or tires. Therefore, they might have been used as a kind of stock of spare car parts.
Among the vehicles picked from the area were also double-deckers with the Berlin registration plates and bus trailers known then as “Bajadera”, “Syrena”, and “Columbina”. They were coupled with some other captured trucks such as Honomag and Mercedes and together formed beautiful pieces of articulated vehicles with a capacity of 100 and more passengers each.
Due to the decision of municipal and country authorities the fleet collected by “Autobaza” together with the company land, offices, and storehouse were taken over by the city. Miejskie Zakłady Komunikacyjne (City Public Transport Company, abbreviated in Polish as MZK) was founded and Stanisław Taczanowski became its director, while Ottokar Ammer took over the job of technical manager. They started working hard to restore the public transport, and, as early as on 10th July 1945, the connection with Gdańsk was launched and services to Chylonia, Oksywie, and Witomino followed.
At the same time works on reconstruction of destroyed trolleybus transport started. People who were involved in it were not experts. Merely a few amongst them had any experience with trolleybuses. The only qualifications they had were good will and enthusiasm for work. The action of picking trolleybus wrecks from the city and its surroundings was organized. They were stored in the depot in Derdowskiego Street, which was shared with buses. Appeals to institutions and private people to give back the trolleybus parts, electric equipment and wires lost during the fights were sent and the still existing rectifier stations in Redłowo, Main Railway Station and Grabówek were protected.
Having brought the trolleybus wrecks to the depot their reconstruction started. The workers that should be mentioned are Jan Frankowski, Franciszek Woś, Juliusz Omensetter, Antoni Miszewski, Franciszek Prętki, Edmund Meszyński, Marian Borysiewicz, Jan Kulawczyk, Antoni Todek, and Wacław Reptowski. Also network fitters should be mentioned: Bronisław Zaremba and Marian Kończak, smith Wacław Czech, technical assistance drivers: Antoni Mokszycki and Klemens Siuda, technical instructors: Zenon Siuda, Franciszek Karczewski i Zygmunt Nierzwicki. We should also mention old trolleybus drivers Antoni Miękicki and Jan Nowak and many more, whose devotion, enthusiasm, and hard work helped in re-opening of the trolleybus transport. The post of director of the Trolleybus Department was given to Bolesław Obrączkiewicz who continued working until 1947.
Thanks to many efforts a part of prewar bus depot in Zwycięstwa Avenue (previously Gdańska Street), which had been adapted by the German invader to fix the planes, could be used again for public transport needs. It happened after the city authorities intervention who had to encourage the facillity user Państwowe Zakłady Samochodowe (National Car Company) to give part of the surface and the maintenance hall to MZK.
More bus lines were opened: 102 from Gdynia Chylonia Railway Station to Slaughterhouse (1 December 1945), 104 from Kaszubski Square to Port (1 August 1947) and 105 from Mały Kack to the Shipyard. (28 March 1949).
On 29 March 1946 an act erecting the Intercommunal Association of Gdańsk, Gdynia and Sopot was signed. Its aim was to solve the common transport problems of the cities. As the first stage of works they planned for the full reconstruction of public transport network in Gdańsk, Gdynia and Sopot according to the state before 1 September 1939 and connection of the cities by electric transport line.
Also, the public transport companies from Gdańsk and Gdynia were united and formed The Intercommunal Public Transport Company Gdańsk-Gdynia (abbreviated in Polish as MZKGG). Jan Madejski became its managing director and Stanisław Taczanowski, previously director of MZK in Gdynia, took the post of the deputy director responsible for administration.
On 19 March 1949 the first trolleybus line after war was opened. It ran from the depot in Derdowskiego Street to the City Hall, where the bus terminus was built on the existing car park. Three reconstructed Henschel trolleybuses operated the line. The network was then extended to Orłowo and so was the trolleybus line which was given the number of 11. Meanwhile more Henschel type vehicles and Alfa-Romeo and Fiat Breda trolleybuses were fixed. Several three Henschel 01 type vehicles and one vehicle of Bussing type were brought from Olsztyn, and after necessary repair works, they were also put into service.
On 2 October 1946 the line no. 12 between Kaszubski Square and Chylonia was launched. The line was powered by the restored rectifier station in Grabówek, with the power of 720 KW. The trolleybuses serving the line ran through Świętojańska and Śląska Streets, skipping the fly-over in Podjazd Street, which at that time was only provisionally rebuilt.
The spring of 1947 saw the trolleybus department workers help in launching the “Panna Wodna” ship. She belonged to Żegluga Gdańska (Gdańsk Shipping Company) which was by the time one of the departments of MZKGG. The staff of the trolleybus depot did the welding job.
In the same year the trolleybus fleet grew up to 24 vehicles and 3 trailers, which allowed for extending the 11 line to Sopot. In 1947 the following vehicles were at the disposal of the Trolleybus Department:
After director Taczanowski moved to Gdańsk the managing of MZKGG bus fleet in Gdynia was performed by Stanisław Biskupski. Then the post was taken by Bolesław Krysiak. Józef Szymankiewicz and Czesław Górniaczyk were known for their dedication and devotion. The changes also took place in the management of Trolleybus Department. Bolesław Obrączkiewicz moved to GAL sailing company and Edward Imbierowicz became the director.
In September 1947 the trolleybus depot and workshops left the area in Derdowskiego Street and moved to the bus depot in Zwycięstwa Avenue, which had been finally given to MZKGG. Before that it was shared with the National Car Company.
The MZKGG branch in Gdynia had a fleet of reconstructed German buses: Bussing, MAN, Saurer and Bernard. They serviced all bus lines within the city limits. Later, it was united with the trolleybus department to form one body known as the Bus-Trolley Department to cover the whole public transport in Gdynia.
17 cars of GMC type, taken from UNRA supplies and adjusted for passenger transport were finally withdrawn from the public use. They were used on internal bus lines.
In 1948 director Imbierowicz moved to PKPG in Warsaw and the post was taken by Jerzy Osuchowski from MZKGG in Gdańsk. Worth mentioning are some of the department workers, who were great experts, like Bolesław Markuszewski, Antoni Brodnicki, Alfons Labuda, Tadeusz Szczubełek, Bolesław Potulski i Bronisław Pisarczyk, Józef Treder, Franciszek Świątkowski, Hipolit Drzemczewski, Jan Jędrasiak, Stanisław Kłosinek, and Jerzy Żukiert.
Thanks to some innovatory ideas and actions, two spacious Bussling 900T buses were reconstructed and converted to trolleybuses, using AEG steering devices and engines taken from vehicles destroyed during the war. Those trolleybuses were given fleet numbers of 219 and 220 and together with huge trailers no. 271 and 272 made two spacious vehicles. Electrician Ksawery Wawrowski did some marvelous job during the conversion.
Between 1947 and 1948 the number of buses also rose. 3 huge trucks were picked from Sztutowo and Świbno and then reconstructed. They were tractor-trailers named “Bajadera”, “Syrena”, and “Columbina” that could take up to 150 passengers. GMC engines from German Sherman tanks, found mainly near Rudno, were used as the engines.
In 1948 fifteen 3-ton Chevrolet vehicles were received. After adaptation to passenger transport, they operated the line to Oksywie.
On 1 January 1949 Edward Czachorowski became the managing director.
In 1949 the agreement with MZK Wrocław granted Gdynia 8 broken Tallero trolleybuses (two vehicles of the same type, with fleet numbers 221 and 222 were already in Gdynia) that had been left by the invader. After reconstruction, the trolleybuses from Wrocław were put into service in 1950. With fleet numbers from 230 to 237, they operated the lines to Sopot and Chylonia.
In 1949 the new trolleybus lines were built and opened. They ran to Mały Kack (no. 23, opened on 22 July 1949) and Oksywie (no. 24, opened on 29 October 1949). The 23 line was serviced by 13 French Vetra trolleybues, at that time very modern. They were given fleet numbers from 300 to 312.
Working as technical director of the department from 1946, on 1 October 1949 Maciej Gwiazda became the director of the Trolleybus Department.
The Bus-Trolleybus Department in Gdynia for some time had at its disposal six Soviet JTB2 trolleybuses that had been taken on Minister of Communal Economy order from MZK Warsaw. The Gdynia workers made them ready to use, however, they were shortly after withdrawn from service. Two of them went to MZK in Legnica.
The most popular vehicles used than in Gdynia were Busslings HD6 and GD6 type and also the same brand vehicles in double-decker version (fleet number: 12, 13 and 15). There were also articulated buses “Bajadera” and “Syrena” and single examples of MAN, Opel (based on Dodge undercarriage), Saurer and Bernard. There was a small number of trailers, too.
In 1948 5 bus undercarriages of Leyland OPSI type were received. MZKGG Tram Workshops in Gdańsk Wrzeszcz prepared special tops for them with distinctive asymmetric driver’s cab. Those buses in following years were used in Gdynia (from 1951 with double-deckers).
In late 1949 the name of the enterprise changed from MZKGG to WPKGG. It was the Voivodeship Public Transport Company Gdańsk-Gdynia.
In 1950 the city got the first deliveries of new buses. They were Hungarian vehicles of Mavag TR5 type, based on the construction of Mercedes OML 654. 10 such vehicles came to Gdynia.
After the reconstruction of the fly-over in Podjazd Street, the trolleybus network was installed there. Because of that the way to Chylonia shortened as the vehicles could take the way through 10 Lutego street instead Świętojańska and Śląska streets. Furthermore, the network extended from Chylonia to Cisowa, which allowed to open a new service numbered 25 from Kaszubski Square to Cisowa. The existing line using Śląska Street was given the number of 22 and its route was shortened. It had a new terminus in Grabówek.
During the years 1951-1952 MGK made the decision about the types of buses for the whole country. According to it WPKGG had to exchange different buses of Mavag type for the Leyland, Bussings and other vehicles of German production. Therefore, a lot of vehicles with interesting history came to Gdynia. Like eg. Leyland LOPS (fleet number 28) taken from WPK Katowice: built in 1930’s and used in Silesia Region and then evacuated in 1939 to Hungary. After WW2 it came back to Poland. Its driver, who shared its history, was almost crying when he had to deliver it to Gdynia. Among the given buses was also a London double-decker Leyland with the entrance on the right side (from Inowrocław), American International with one wide entrance in the middle (from Bielsko-Biała) and others of extraordinary construction.
On 8 April 1953 department director Maciej Gwiazda moved to WPKGG as technical director of the enterprise. Czesław Górniaczyk, the previous depot director, became the department director.
In late 1953 Gdynia had the following trolleybus lines:
21 Kaszubski Square - Orłowo - Sopot
22 Kaszubski Square – Śląska Street - Grabówek
23 Shipyard - Mały Kack Railway Station
24 Main Railway Station in Gdynia - Oksywie
25 Kaszubski Square- Cisowa
There were also the following bus lines:
101 Main Railway Station in Gdynia – Voivodeship National Board in Gdańsk
102 Main Railway Station in Gdynia – Chylonia Railway Station – Slaughterhouse in Pogórze
103 Main Railway Station in Gdynia - Witomino
104 Kaszubski Square - Port
105 Mały Kack – Shipyard
109 Kaszubski Square - Babie Doły
After the energetic reconstruction of the trolleybuses in 1946-1950, the company’s fleet in the beginning of 1950s was gradually becoming shorter. It was caused by the deliveries of new Vetra trolleybuses and from 1957 Czech Skoda 8TR vehicles. In the first place single vehicles of different types were withdrawn because it had been very hard to find spare parts. Furthermore, during their use serious construction faults became obvious. The last that went for scrap were Henschel-AEG trolleybuses which for long had been the most popular and reliable group of public transport vehicles in Gdynia.
In 1954 the company got the first buses of domestic production – Star 52. They were small vehicles with very economic petrol engines. The possibility of savings on petrol made previously used German and other cars with diesel engines unattractive. At the same time troublesome lacks in spare parts made it easier to decide to stop using those vehicles.
The next change of the director in the department took place in November 1956. Antoni Kornaczewicz, a long-time worker of the depot, became the director.
During the years 1956-1966 new Polish bus San H-01 was introduced. It had the self-supporting construction but was sensitive to overloads so frequent in public transport.
New services were launched:
114 Kaszubski Square - Demptowo (22 July 1954)
117 Kaszubski Square - Oksywie (24 March 1956)
119 Wzgórze Nowotki – Maritime Station (21 October 1956)
121 Main Railway Station in Gdynia - Wielki Kack (1 December 1956)
125 Redłowo Hospital - Obłuże (1 June 1960)
128 Plac Kaszubski - Stare Obłuże (2 January 1961)
134 Płyta Redłowska - Shipyard (16 June 1966)
135 Konstytucji Square - Maritime Station
137 Konstytucji Square - Witomino (2 January 1968)
In 1964 a new section of traction was installed in Obłuże – through Bosmańska street to Stare Oksywie and to the terminus near the Navy Headquarters. The new line operating there was given the no. 28. It was launched on 23 May 1964. Moreover, new services were launched on the existing network, i.e. no. 29, 30 and others, which are hard to enlist here due to frequent changes, closures and new openings in other connections.
During the years 1956-1966 they new trolleybus depot was being constructed on the area adjacent to existing bus-trolleybus depot. It could accommodate up to 150 vehicles. A floor was built up to the administrative office building, where classrooms and workshops of Vocational School of Public Transport were placed. Previously, the school had rooms in the same building, yet they were very few and in the attic.
During the decade of 1956-1966 new vehicles were introduced to the fleet. They were Jelcz 272, made by Jelczańskie Zakłady Samochodowe (Car Factory in Jelcz) and San H-25 and H-27 from Sanocka Fabryka Autobusowa (Bus Factory in Sanok).
Skoda 8TR and 9TR trolleys from Czechoslovakia were still coming. By this time they became the main type of vehicles used in Gdynia. They were replacing all other types of buses, also Vetras, which were gradually going to scrap.
People who worked as mechanics, electricians, and drivers beyond any shadow of doubt helped in the development of network, keeping the fleet in good shape and making the services efficient. The names that should be mentioned are Wacław Objezierski, Kazimierz Łysz, Stanisław Górzynik, Józef Kowalski, Bolesław Potulski, Feliks Wiśniewski, Bronisław Derda and Eugeniusz Chodakowski.
On 1 August 1966 there was another change of director of Gdynia Bus-Trolleybus Department. Antoni Kornaczewicz went to WPKGG Gdańsk to work as the main mechanic. His post was taken by Marian Rymanowicz, who had followed all the career step in the company. He started as an office boy, continued as a mechanic to finally become the drector.
The new trolleybus depot was ready at that time. It had workshops equipped with a proper number of repair canals, a automated car wash and many other devices, which then meant quite important technical progress.
In 1960s unfortunate times for the trolleybuses began. Important institutes and authorities were spreading negative reports on trolleybus transport. Such opinions were shared by MGK and Communal Economy Institute officials, as well as other transport enterprises officials. The only way to improve the transport was seen in introduction of buses. Throughout the country, networks were being decommissioned. It happened in such cities as Warsaw, Olsztyn and Wałbrzych. Only Lublin and Gdańsk/Gdynia still kept the traction. However, the consequences could be seen in Gdynia too, where during the modernisation of Marchlewskiego Street the traction was removed, which meant the lines to Oksywie had to be closed. Instead, buses were introduced on those lines. Many new bus services opened then, e.g. no. 141 from Witomino to Obłuże and no. 152 from Wzgórze Nowotki to Upper Oksywie.
Other Jelcz 272 and San H-100 buses supplies were coming, but the deliveries of Skoda 9TR trolleybuses stopped. The last delivery took place in 1970 (12 vehicles). The fleet at the end of 1970 counted 99 trolleys and 89 buses, including San H-100, Jelcz 272 and 021 (articulated buses) and Skoda-Karosa of SM and SL type. In 1970 trolleybuses transported 35,990 and buses 30,397 passengers.
On 1 April 1971 Marian Rymanowicz started to work as production manager in WPK Gdańsk and his post in Gdynia was taken by Jerzy Młodzianowski, previously Gdynia Bus-Trolleybus Workshops director.
Between 1970-71 the old bus-trolleybus depot was modernised and adopted for buses only as trolleybuses had their own separate depot nearby. The modernised facility was equipped with automated wash and other service and repair devices.
During the years 1970-1974 Gdynia department was made responsible for transport in the surrounding cities of Rumia, Reda and Sopot and Kosakowo commune. Therefore new lines were launched: no. 145 to Kazimierz, no. 146 to Rewa and no. 147 to Chwarzno.
From 1971 the trolleybus deliveries stopped. It was caused because the contract between Poland and Czechoslovakia had not been prolonged yet also because the county authorities followed the tendency to remove the trolleybus transport. Because of diminishing number of trolleybuses and lack of deliveries, the WPKGG officials offered to Communal Economy Institute designing and building of a prototype trolleybus, basing on Jelcz-Berliet PR110U bus and electric equipment from ELTA in Łódź. According to the project, Skoda engines were to be used, as 30 of them remained after Czech trolleybuses had gone to scrap. Unfortunately, the authorities did not show any interest in the idea. They only suggested the possibility of importing Soviet trolleybuses.
Due to diminishing number of trolleybuses, the number of trolleybus lines diminished, too. Meanwhile the number of bus lines in Gdynia significantly rose.
Because of the general situation the company had to look for its own solutions to keep trolleybus transport in Gdynia. During the years 1974-76 they started cooperation with NOT, WPKGG and Car Factory in Jelcz. It resulted in production of two trolleybus prototypes. They were based on Jelcz PR110U undercarriage and body. Following the agreement WPKGG workers prepared and installed electric equipment. Skoda trolley engines were used here as well as typical elements from 105N trams. A lot of original solutions were introduced thanks to large experience of the workers in trolleybus use.
In October 1975 WPK got first two Soviet ZIU-9 trolleybuses. They were immediately put into service. The next delivery came on 30 October 1976 and consisted of 20 ZIU-9 vehicles.
Because of the own initiative and thanks to cooperation with the University of Technology in Gdańsk, the Gdynia depot engineers designed and built a trolleybus prototype with an impulse drive, which was very modern by that time. They used a withdrawn from service Skoda SM 11 Czech bus to which they added electric devices and equipment. In 1977 their ideas and actions were awarded. The Minister of Administration, Land Management and Environment in Poland gave them the 3rd degree price. Both trolleybus prototypes were shown at the exhibition during National Public Transport Meeting in Gdańsk in 1976.
The negotiations with the officials to start the mass production of such trolleybuses started but did not bring any success. The authorities thought that it was better to import than to start own production. The initiative taken by WPK Gdańsk had to wait until 1980s.
The dynamic development of bus lines and the huge increase in the number of buses resulted in problems with the depot space. Even though it had been modernized in the late 1960s, in the end of 1974 it became too small to accommodate the whole fleet. The maximum capacity of the depot was reached. Apart from growing number of tasks in the city, the WPKGG in Gdańsk made Gdynia responsible for organising public transport in Lębork.
On 1 May 1974 two lines were launched there. They were operated by Autosan buses.
On 1 May 1974 Bus-Trolleybus Department changed its name to Oddział Autobusowo-Trolejbusowy w Gdyni (Bus-Trolleybus Branch in Gdynia).
On 1 January 1975 on the basis of decision made by Gdańsk Governor the public transport companies in the Gdańsk voivodeship were connected into one company under the name of Wojewódzkie Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacyjne w Gdańsku (Provincial Public Transport Company in Gdańsk). Part of it was Zakład Komunikacji Miejskiej w Gdyni (Public Transport Company in Gdynia, abbreviated ZKM in Polish) which replaced the Bus-Trolleybus Department in Gdynia. The post of the managing director of ZKM in Gdynia was handed to Jerzy Młodzianowski.
ZKM in Gdynia, besides organizational departments like management, HR, technical office, bookkeeping, financial office, which were common for all offices, had five departments:
1. Bus Service Station directed by Janusz Pajewski
2. Trolleybus Service Station directed by Józef Spaleniak
3. Traffic Department directed by Jan Lis
4. Fleet Repair Office directed by Janusz Pietrzak
5. Department of Public Transport in Lębork directed by Jerzy Nastały
Founding ZKM in Gdynia with its own board of directors was aimed to gain its independent functioning. It is worth mentioning that from that time the city authorities interest in public transport significantly rose. Gdynia City Hall started to cooperate effectively with ZKM. Officials from WPK in Gdynia joined the Commission of Traffic Coordination and Safety.
In 1977 the quality of trolleybus network improved in the city area. The important intersection of Świętojańska and 10 Lutego Streets was rebuilt resulting in limiting traffic problems. Also, a new section of traction was installed along Jana z Kolna Street to Konstytucji Square and along Migały Street. In the following years the preparations to extend the no. 23 line to the Shipyard started. The traction had been rashly liquidated there in the times when trolleybus transport had not been popular. Times changed, however, which could be seen in positive decisions that were made about keeping and modernization of trolleybus network along Wielkopolska Street and extending the route to Wielki Kack (Polifarb). In the years 1975-1979 the trolleybus made its come back to the streets of Gdynia.
Years of 1975-1979 not only saw the development of bus and trolleybus network, but also improvement ZKM in Gdynia managing. Huge improvements could also be seen in the control and regulation system of public transport. Terenowa Centrala Ruchu (Local Traffic Centre) was founded and located near Konstytucji Square. It was equipped with modern wired and wireless communication devices.
During that period the first transport node integrating commuter trains with city public transport was built in Gdynia Chylonia. A new dispatcher’s office replaced an old provisional one located in a withdrawn trolleybus. The new building was equipped with communication and sanitary devices which resulted in better work conditions for dispatchers.
In the discussed period the following bus services were introduced:
No. 170 - 5.06.1975 - Konstytucji Square - Obłuże Leśne
No. 170 - 18.04.1977 – changed to: Kaszubski Square - Obłuże Leśne
No. 171 - 8.11.1975 - Konstytucji Square - Chwaszczyno - Oliwa
No. 172 - 21.05.1975 - Konstytucji Square - Wiczlino
No. 173 - 14.07.1975 - Wzgórze Nowotki - Dębogórze
No. 173 - 18.04.1977 – changed to: Kaszubski Square - Dębogórze
No. 177 - 21.01.1976 - Sopot Brodwino – Sopot Kamienny Potok
No. 179 - 1.02.1976 - Kaszubski Square - Sopot (instead of trolleybuses)
No. 179 - 18.04.1977 – changed to: Gdynia City Hall - Witomino Chwarznieńska Street
No. 180 - 10.02.1976 - Orłowo Przebendowskich Street - Cisowa
No. 182 - 16.06.1978 - Konstytucji Square - Stare Obłuże Maciejewicza Street
No. 185 - 18.04.1977 - Płyta Redłowska – Shipyard - Energetyków Street
No. 187 - 1.07.1978 - Sopot Brodwino - Sopot Grand-Hotel
No. 190 - 9.12.1980 - Gdynia City Hall - Witomino II Morskiego Pułku Strzelców Street
Also the construction of own trolleybus based on Berliet bus body started. In 1980 the first three trolleybuses were produced. Their fleet numbers were 10104, 10105 and 10106. In 1981 the production continued resulting with 13 new trolleybuses with fleet numbers from 10107 to 10119. The production of the 20 vehicle series was completed in April 1982 after last 4 trolleybuses numbered from 10120 to 10123, came into service.
This was the proof that in 28 months in hard conditions, it is possible to build 20 Polish trolleybuses The success could not be possible without huge dedication of Gdynia trolleybus network enthusiasts: Maciej Gwiazda, Henryk Bianga, Janusz Pietrzak, Zbigniew Wawrowski, Stefan Halman, Edwin Samp, Henryk Kosecki, Józef Tempski, J. Stencel, Z. Siwicki and others.
The first series of Polish trolleybuses brought yet another benefit. It was the impulse for building the own domestic trolleybus. Komunalne Przedsiębiorstwo Naprawy Autobusów (Communal Enterprise of Bus Repair) in Słupsk showed interest in such production and in the second half of the 1980s started to make new Polish trolleybuses.
In the discussed period further works on the development of trolleybus network took place. WPK contracted Office of Studies and Projects on Communal Economy Development in Gdańsk to prepare “Project of trolleybus routes in Gdynia and Sopot”.
The management of WPK in Gdańsk, municipalities of Gdynia and provincial authorities knew that well designed and developed trolleybus network could be the future of proper transport service in Gdynia. That is why it was revitalised after the years of crisis. Step by step the number of trolleybuses was raising in the discussed period.
Systematic and constant increase of trolleybus fleet allowed for design and launch of new trolleybus routes in Gdynia:
No. 29, introduced on 09.03.1981 between Orłowo and Kaszubski Square. On 1.07.1982 the route was extended to the Shipyard after opening the traction along Rokossowskiego and Czechosłowacka Streets.
Line no. 23 was reactivated on 3.08.1981 on route: Konstytucji Square - Mały Kack going through Jana z Kolna Street. On 13.10.1981 the route came back to Migały Street instead of going through 10 Lutego Street after the network was built there. On 21.07.1982 the route was extended to the Shipyard after opening the traction along Rokossowskiego and Czechosłowacka Streets.
Line no. 26 from 5.07.1983 served on the route from Orłowo Przebendowskich Street to Chylonia Railway Station through the new part of Morska Street from Działdowska Street to Kartuska Street. On 2.05.1985 the route changed to: Orłowo Przebendowskich Street - Cisowa Sibeliusa roundabout, after opening the new section of traction along Morska Street.
Line no. 30 on 2.05.1985 changed route from: City Centre - Chylonia Railway Station to: City Centre – Cisowa Sibeliusa roundabout.
Opening no. 26 on the new part of Morska Street completed the first stage of building of new trolleybus route to Cisowa. The second stage was completed in May 1985 and by this time trolleybus lines no. 26 and 30 could go new housing districts in Cisowa.
Introduction of modern, capacious fleet (Ikarus 280 articulated buses) and releasing of buses from the routes taken by the trolleybuses had a great impact on improving the transport services.